What will children learn?
At Radwinter CofE Primary School, it is our intention to teach our children the importance of science in every aspect of daily life and encourage our children’s curiosity about our universe. We believe science encompasses the acquisition of knowledge, concepts, skills and positive attitudes. We intend to build a science curriculum which develops learning, results in the acquisition of knowledge and enables our children to become enquiry-based learners. We aim to develop our curriculum through fun, practical and engaging high-quality teaching that inspires our children to succeed and excel in science. We intend to foster a science capital teaching approach that measures and values each individual child’s science related experiences and attitudes to science, allowing all children to relate their interests and personal experiences to science.
- ttainment is assessed each half term through related topic assessments
- Children make links to scientists across all topics and identify the impact of their work within the different fields of science
- We link science to a wide variety of careers and challenge stereotypes about who science and science careers are for
- We strive to personalise and localise science planning topics that are as relevant to all our pupils as possible
- Working Scientifically skills are embedded into lessons to ensure that skills are systematically developed throughout the children’s school career and new vocabulary and challenging concepts are introduced through direct teaching of this strand
- Children are offered extra-curricular activities, including STEAM club to further engage curiosity. School visits, trips and visitors are accessed to complement and broaden the curriculum. Enrichment opportunities are purposeful, link with class teaching and serve to develop the children’s personal science capital
- Children are invited to join our school Eco-council work to engage in environmental education and action
- Classrooms have science focused working wall displays encompassing visual diagrams and pictures and vocabulary for children to reference
- Enrichment events, such as Science Week, Great Science Share for School and regular Forest school opportunities, allow all pupils to come off-timetable and explore scientific topics, presenting their findings to peers, family and the wider community
- The successful approach to the teaching of science at Radwinter CofE Primary School results in a fun, engaging, high quality science education, that provides children with aspirations to continue study science beyond school
- Children have high level of scientific literacy and can form science related attitudes and opinions
- Children link science to a wide variety of careers and recognise people they know who use science in their everyday jobs
- Most children will achieve age related expectations in science at the end of their cohort year
If you would like further information on the curriculum we teach, please contact the school directly.